DOG / nutrition
Living Large: Nutrition for Big Dogs
From gangly puppy to graceful adult, large-breed dogs need diets tailored to their size.
Puppies: a healthy start
All puppies go through a rapid growth phase. When this happens for large and giant breed dogs, it directly affects their joints and skeletal formation. Large-breed puppy formulas carefully balance calories, protein levels and minerals to ensure steady growth and reduce the risk of potential health problems.
Big dogs, big nutrients
As they age, large and giant breeds like German Shepherds, Labrador Retrievers, Mastiffs and Great Danes can become prone to osteoarthritis. Remember that old saying, an ounce of prevention? Feeding your dog a diet specially formulated for big breeds will help:
- Reduce hip and joint stress
- Minimize the risk of skeletal issues
Look for these ingredients:
- Fatty acids like EPA and DHA
- Glucosamine and chondroitin for hip and joint health
- High-quality protein sources (not all proteins are created equal—easily digestible meat, fish and eggs are superior to bulky byproducts)
No more lazy-bones
Big guys tend to bulk up, but excess weight can be a real drag for large dogs. What’s the fix? Regular exercise and following the recommended portion size of premium light/reduced-calorie dog foods.Shop large breed formula dog food