DOG / nutrition
A Recipe for Treating Troublesome Tummies
What to do when your dog’s stomach is upset.
Like humans, dogs can get an upset tummy and experience discomfort and irritability. Common triggers can be found in your dog’s diet, stress or allergies. Vets recommend you try a bland diet at the onset of mild symptoms and contact them if symptoms persist or worsen.
- Desire to eat grass, lick carpets or floors
- Loss of appetite
- Gurgling noises from stomach
- Passing gas
Before you offer this recipe, your dog should rest and fast for 4-6 hours.
The bland recipe (75% boiled rice, 25% low-fat protein)
- Boil protein and cook rice. Do not add any oils, fats, or spices.
- Shred the protein into the cooked rice and add roughly ½ cup of warm water.
- Mix thoroughly and feed your dog in place of its usual meals.
- Vets advise you to feed smaller quantities 3-4 times throughout the day, which can be easier for dogs to stomach.
• Boneless, skinless chicken
• Boiled hamburger
• Meat baby food
• Low-fat cottage cheese
* Some dogs may be allergic to certain protein sources. Homemade bland diets are for temporary use only and do not meet nutritional requirements for long term use.
Bland diet guide
- Small dogs weighing less than 20 pounds: 1-2 teaspoons
- Dogs weighing 20-40 pounds: ¼ - ½ cup
- Dogs weighing over 40 pounds: ½ - ¾ cup
When should I visit the vet?
If extreme dehydration, lethargy or multiple symptoms in addition to vomiting, diarrhea are noted, seek veterinary advice immediately.