CAT / nutrition
Should I Put My Cat on a Urinary-health Diet?
Diet may help this common cat problem
The Benefits of a Urinary Tract Health Diet for Your Cat
Urinary Tract Health cat foods are formulated to help support the appropriate urinary pH and level of dissolved minerals within the urine. Both dry and wet formulas help support urinary health in cats. In multi-feline households, Urinary Tract Health food can be fed to all cats.Shop Urinary Tract Health cat food & treats
Understanding Urinary Health in Cats
The urinary system of cats is responsible for getting rid of waste products created when food is transformed into energy. When pH and mineral levels in urine are out of balance, it can cause bladder stones, crystals, inflammation or infection—serious conditions that require diagnosis and treatment by your veterinarian.
For optimal urinary health:
- Talk to your vet about the best diet for your cat
- Always provide your cat plenty of fresh water
- Provide an adequate number of litter boxes (usually one more than the number of cats in the household)
- Be mindful to help your cat avoid stressful triggers
- Monitor that your cat is maintaining a healthy weight
Contact your veterinarian right away if you notice any of the following symptoms, as they could be a sign of Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD):
- Increased frequency of urination
- Urination in inappropriate places (outside the litter box)
- Straining to urinate
- Crying out during urination
- Excessive licking of the genital area
- Blood in the urine
If your cat is passing little or no urine, she may have a urethral obstruction. A urethral obstruction is an emergency that requires immediate veterinary treatment.