SMALLPET / new pets
Fancy Mouse Care Guide
Tips from home to health to food and fun
6 things to know about fancy mice
- Experience Level: Beginner
- Size: They grow up to 2 to 3 inches long
- Lifespan: Fancy mice live for up to 2 years
- Behavior: They are most active at night
- Training: They can learn basic tricks
- Did You Know: They can squeeze through any space big enough for their heads
How do I set up a fancy mouse habitat?
Fancy mice are social and can be housed in same-sex pairs. However, they can be territorial and aggressive, so each mouse needs a separate food bowl, water bottle and exercise wheel. A mouse habitat should include hide houses where mice can play and chew.
- House your mouse in a habitat that’s at least 12 x 12 x 12 inches (30 x 30 x 30 cm), with multiple levels.
- Place the habitat out of direct sunlight in a low-humidity area between 65 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit (18 to 24 Celsius).
- Line the habitat with at least 1 or 2 inches (3-5 cm) of paper bedding or wood shavings (cedar shavings are not recommended). Spot -clean the bedding frequently and change it at least monthly.
- Clean hide-houses regularly.
What do fancy mice eat?
Fancy mice enjoy a mixed menu of pellets, vegetables, and fruit.
- Pellets should make up 75% of their diet; keep the bowl three-quarters full and refresh it daily.
- Feed mice dark leafy greens every other day and apple, banana or melon once a week.
- Mice should have access to fresh, clean water at all times.
How can I keep my fancy mouse healthy?
Try not to handle mice for 3 to 4 days, while they adjust to their new home. Even after they are settled in, mice can get sick. Contact a veterinarian or a PetSmart store associate if you notice any of the following signs:
- Cloudy, sunken or swollen eyes
- Overgrown front teeth
- Bare patches in fur
- Diarrhea or discolored droppings
- Weight loss; not eating or drinking normally
- Sneezing; discharge from the eyes, nose or mouth
PET SAFETY TIPS
- Thoroughly wash your hands before contact with your mouse.
- Use caution when handling mice, and remember they may bite or scratch, especially when stressed.
- Never grab your mouse by the fur or tail.
- Supervise children around pets.
- All animals can carry viral, bacterial, fungal, and parasitic diseases that are contagious to humans. Thoroughly wash your hands with warm, soapy water after contact with any pet, its habitat, or aquarium water. Adults should assist children with hand washing.
Pets purchased at PetSmart are part of our exclusive Vet Assured™ program, designed by PetSmart veterinarians to help improve the health and well being of our pets.
Our vendors meet a high standard in caring for pets and screening them for common illnesses. This program also includes specific standards for in-store pet care.
If your pet becomes ill during the initial 14-day period, or if you’re not satisfied for any reason, PetSmart will gladly replace the pet or refund the purchase price.
Fancy Mouse$ 5.99
carefresh® Complete Natural™ Small Pet Bedding$ 16.99
KAYTEE® Fiesta® Chunky Rat & Mouse Food$ 9.99
All Living Things® Daily Diet Mouse & Rat Food$ 12.99
National Geographic™ Daily Diet Rat & Mouse Food$ 9.99
Grreat Choice® Small Animal Water Bottle$ 6.69
KAYTEE® Silent Spinner Wheel$ 22.99
KAYTEE® Critter Trail FUN-NEL Tube Tee Small Pet$ 3.29