Rated 1 out of 5 by gohome Junk
This morning I noticed the pH color had changed dramatically from slightly alkaline to acidic overnight, and I freaked out. Our tank had been relatively stable over the past few weeks (as confirmed by test strips), so this was alarming. I decided to double check with test strips. Lo and behold, the strips revealed that my tank was still alkaline. Very disturbing that this detector could be so unreliable.
January 21, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5 by Bellybionic Saved our tank!
My wife and I are aquarium beginners, and had a small tank that we couldn't seem to keep a fish alive in for more than 48 hours. I bought this kit, stuck both sensors to the glass and left them there. They don't register immediately, the instructions say how long you have to wait initially to get an accurate reading. I went back to look after an hour and it was showing ammonia levels as high as it's capable of registering. We let the tank cycle until it was showing a safe level, then got a few more fish. The ammonia level spiked up again within a day or so. We moved the majority of the fish to another tank (the small one had been intended to be a holding tank for our turtle's feeder fish) and the level went back down. The little 5 gallon tank now houses a dumbo betta, a pleco, and a mystery snail and is doing great. Anytime the sensor color starts to change, we do a partial water change and it goes right back to the safe level. We're getting a much larger tank this week, and I fully intend to get another set for the new tank, and one for the turtle tank.
November 17, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by Retiredprofessor Biochemistry of ph/ammonia alert
Animals (fish, snails, coral, etc) produce ammonia (NH3) as a waste product. Ammonia is a very reactive chemical which is toxic to living organisms. Based on the pH of the environment, ammonia is converted automatically to the ammonium ion (NH4), which is much less toxic (high pH: more ammonium, low pH: more ammonia). A specific bacterial organism converts ammonia/ammonium to nitrite which is also toxic to living organisms. A second specific bacterium then converts the nitrite to nitrate, which has low toxicity. Water changes and/or charcoal elements in your filter then remove the nitrate. Ammonia alert specifically measures the level of ammonia (NH3)! All of the other test kits measure ammonia PLUS ammonium, so you don't know if you actually have a problem! Water conditioners like "Prime" bind ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to lower toxicity, BUT all of those will be detected with test kits (plus chloramines added by your water department). Therefore, using the ammonia alert will instantly let you know if there is FREE AMMONIA (TOXIC), whereas using a test kit will only tell you the TOTAL amount of nitrogen compounds! These small detectors attach with supplied suction cups to the inside of your aquarium and last for approximately a year. VERY useful and well worth the cost!
August 16, 2015
Rated 1 out of 5 by SkeetiKat Absolute Junk
I purchased two of these kits to help monitor a few of my tanks in between water testings/changes. Two of the tanks had recently been moved and one had had a large bio load placed on it. I just knew that these detectors would pick something up. I couldn't have been more wrong.
On one of my goldfish tanks, the ammonia detector didn't detect a thing, but my water test kit said my ammonia level was .25ppm. And in that same tank, the ph detector said my water was in the 6.2-6.6 range, when an actual test of the water showed that it was somewhere between 7.6 and 8.0.
Considering the second ph detector is reading almost the same as the first one, and the water is from the same source, I'm going to assume that both of the detectors don't work, and I didn't just buy one faulty kit. I'll test that water once I finish my work with the first goldfish tank, but I think it's pretty safe to say that this kit is junk. It does not perform like it's supposed to, it does not act as an early warning to changing water conditions, it's just a waste of money. :(
June 5, 2015